Posted on: April 9, 2021
WaitWhat is a media invention company, recognized for
high-quality, genre-defining content and technology products
designed around essential human needs - with a contrarian strategy
to scale. In everything WaitWhat creates, it aims to elicit the
contagious emotions of wonder, curiosity, and mastery - infusing
its content with "Wait, what?" moments that spark curiosity and
change our understanding of the world. WaitWhat's properties - each
earning Webby Award honors and together downloaded more than 60
million times - include Masters of Scale, Meditative Story, Spark &
Fire, and Should this Exist.
Rather than defining a media property by its format (i.e., "a video
series," "a podcast," "a live event"), WaitWhat creates media
properties that can scale "horizontally" beyond their first format.
For example, a property may start as a podcast that evolves into a
conference, a book series, a suite of learning products (corporate
and university), a destination website, an app, a marketplace that
helps community members find products and each other, a Netflix or
Amazon video series, etc. - all with the intention of building an
ecosystem around the core body of content. We design our media
properties with the explicit purpose of shaping them this way into
infinite form factors - and we only take on ideas that have the
potential for great scale.
We pride ourselves on building partnerships that make allies out of
competitors. Our vibrant culture is rooted in optimism, possibility
thinking, and an uncommon willingness to embrace risk with
intention to push the outer bounds of creativity and
experimentation. The team - purposefully rich in diversity - treats
each other with kindness, generosity and respect, tolerant of
differences, and always supporting 'yes, and' style conversations
(consistent with best practices of design thinking and improv).
Please understand that we only consider applications who have
experienced and are passionate about the content we create. Before
you apply, make sure that you have listened to at least one episode
of each of our major podcasts, links follow
Masters of Scale
Spark & Fire
What we're looking for
WaitWhat is seeking a marketing/audience development generalist
with the ability to pivot and grow with the organization into new
and innovative projects. We build eco-systems around our
properties, including technology products such as apps, publishing
initiatives such as books, as well as television series,
curriculum, and live events.. We approach all of these
opportunities with an 11-star (listen to Brian Chesky's Masters of
Scale episode), 'we got this' attitude.
We want to deepen your skills and stretch your talents in new ways;
give you ownership and responsibility for projects; inspire and
delight your ability to impact the world through the media we
create; and welcome you into a very special humble,
high-collaborative startup environment that is intense and kind in
This is a supporting role that will execute against a strategic
vision set by the Head of Audience Development. We're a small team
and we'll work creatively & collaboratively together. We all bring
ideas to the table and we build on them to bring them to life.
You've got 5-7 years of experience under your belt in marketing /
audience development at a high-quality media organization or a
content heavy brand.
You know how content behaves online - how it travels and how it
You're fascinated by podcasting and have strong instincts about how
to grow listenership in this environment which doesn't behave like
You crave data - always curious about how and why things work and
why sometimes they don't.
You are an impeccable executor with a knack for getting things done
on schedule, but always with excellence because you sweat the
You have the mind and the ambition to meet high-reaching growth
goals for our media properties, both in their first format and
You are passionate about putting value and purpose first at every
You love our content.
The areas where you'll leave your mark
- Drive organic audience growth of WaitWhat media properties
across all platforms (audio, app, events, books, TV) - using
tactics that range from the very basic to the very unexpected.
- Podcast audience growth
- Nurture existing relationships with podcast platforms with the
goal of maximizing discovery of WaitWhat properties in their
- Ideate and execute show level and episodic audience development
tactics supporting guests, storytellers and partners to the highest
- Collaborate with show producers - strategizing together to
reach shared goals.
- Capture key learnings and share them back with the team in
coherent, smart ways.
- High value subscription products (apps, membership
- Execute on partnerships to distribute promotions to targeted
- Identify, execute and report on new performance marketing
opportunities to acquire new members.
- Execute, optimize & report on campaigns that convert trial to
- Be a champion for audience engagement and value through the
life of a subscription.
- Execute, optimize and report on campaigns that convert
subscription to renewal
- Email newsletter subscriptions.
- Collaborate with the technology team to optimize organic lead
capture on our websites
- Identify & execute on partnerships to drive high quality lead
- Optimize reader engagement through testing & iteration
alongside the editorial team.
- Work collaboratively with the team to meet event registration
goals of paid and unpaid events.
- Identify and execute on opportunities for cross promotion
- Assist the team with execution on a national book promotion
strategy alongside publishers.
- What's Next---?
- Stay ready for the next invention...
- Draft copy for marketing materials, understanding the intent of
the language/asset and the voice of each property.
- Work collaboratively with other departments - production,
design and editorial to deliver the highest, most inventive
standard for excellence on all projects,
- Produce weekly and monthly reports for marketing tactics
highlighting wins, losses, opportunities for optimization and
- Stay on top of media marketing trends and understand where and
how WaitWhat might find opportunities that align with our
- 5-7 years of experience with a proven track record in marketing
/ audience development for a premium media company or content
- A strong executor with a knack for getting things done.
Thorough and attentive to detail, always.
- An insatiable appetite and humility to learn - to deepen your
skills and stretch your talents in new ways under the direction of
the Head of Audience Development and the leadership team.
- Highly organized and can multitask to manage projects,
relationships and outreaches with tight deadlines.
- Understanding of the media landscape including audio, visual,
subscriptions, books, curriculum, and events.
- A passion for really superlative content and storytelling.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Superior verbal communication skills, diplomacy and positivity.
You inspire belief, sophistication and infinite kindness with the
right balance of resolve.
- Reputation for being joyful to partner with, and committed to
We offer a benefits package that's generous and competitive with
larger companies. We work startup hours, but we also rest; our
whole company closes for 2 weeks in the summer and the week between
Christmas and the New Year. We're an anti-racist organization,
committed to equity and diversity of all kinds - on our team, among
our investors, and as represented on our media properties. Most
important, we only hire extremely kind people.
3 weeks of company holiday (2 weeks in summer + one week between
Christmas and New Years), 5 personal days, healthcare - PPO, vision
and dental, short and long term disability, life insurance,
Keywords: WaitWhat, Scranton , Marketing Manager, Advertising , Walton, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!