Laboratory Assistant (GCMC) (Full time) (Evenings)
Company: Geisinger Health System
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant (GCMC) (Full time)
Location: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Job Category: Diagnostic Services, Lab
Work Type: Full time
Department: GCMC Laboratory Testing Team
Date Posted: 11/14/2022
Job ID: R-40645
Job Summary Assesses, accessions, and processes patient specimens
in preparation for testing in the various sections of Laboratory
- Safely handles potentially infectious blood, body fluids, and
other patient specimens in compliance with regulatory
- Assesses suitability and acceptability of patient
- Rejects unacceptable specimens according to established
- Matches order information with specimen information to ensure
accuracy and patient safety.
- Accessions and results according to procedure via appropriate
- Correctly assigns billing numbers, location codes, and
- Verifies physician orders when test requests are unclear.
- Prepares specimens as appropriate including centrifugation,
- Delivers prepared specimens to appropriate testing area in a
- Applies laboratory internet programs to store specimens and to
locate, retrieve, and process specimens for additional testing as
- Maintains computer logs, quality control, disinfection
procedures, and departmental assigned duties.
- Manages phone inquiries and provides information regarding
specimen collection, transport, and patient results as
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as
- Assists with packaging ordering and referral of specimens to
reference laboratories in compliance with U.
- Department of Transportation and commercial carrier regulations
- Troubleshoots missing specimens and other preanalytical errors
including courier log review, specimen archives.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventative
maintenance program, and alerts supervisor of any equipment
- Assists in proper handling, storage, and maintenance of
supplies, notifies supervisor when inventory is low. Work is
typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for
satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all
organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in
this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent
typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the
job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any
department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the
performance of the job related to that position.
Position Details $5,000 Sign on bonus for qualified applicants.
Education High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required),
Bachelor's Degree- (Preferred)
Our Purpose & Values OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is
about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our
Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat
everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We
treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We
share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare
the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and
better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community,
and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our
patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare
benefits for full time and part time positions from day one,
including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as
important, from senior management on down, we encourage an
atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know
that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds
makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come
from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse
workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be
an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: Geisinger Health System, Scranton , Laboratory Assistant (GCMC) (Full time) (Evenings), Healthcare , Wyoming, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!