PD Medical Technologist - Chemistry - Per Diem
Company: The Guthrie Clinic
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Position Summary Performs laboratory tests and related computer,
clerical and technical functions independent of direct supervision
while following established procedures and protocols. Required to
exercise independent judgment and good judgment with interpretation
of testing or quality control, maintenance and repair of equipment
and records, and actively perform quality assurance activities.
Technologist may also function (when qualified) as charge/lead
technologist, educator, or researcher within the laboratory
settings. Any technologist will be expected to be able to assist
the Lab Manager in all phases of section operations.
Education, License, & Cert Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical
Technology is preferred. A Bachelor of Science degree in the
physical sciences may be considered with relevant experience in a
clinical laboratory. A year's internship in a clinical laboratory
School of Medical Technology is highly preferred.
Medical technologists meeting the criteria for licensure by the
NYSDOH are preferred. If working at a NY lab site, a NY license is
A candidate licensed as a Medical Technologist in NYSDOH will be
considered with or without a bachelor's degree. A candidate that
has HEW certification as a Medical Technologist may be
Annually a minimum of 12 CEU's are required.
Experience Certification as a Medical Technologist by the ASCP
Board of Registry or Board eligible preferred. A working knowledge
of all sections of the laboratory is highly preferred. May
specialize in any section.
Essential Functions 1. In collaboration with a manager or
independently, depending on the situation:
2. Evaluates and solves problems related to the collection and
processing of biological specimens for analysis. Is knowledgeable
and complies with all procedures for specimen collection and
3. Competently performs routine and complex laboratory procedures,
both manual and automated. Recognizes deviation from expected
results, analyzes and corrects problems using scientific/ technical
principles and exercising established protocols and exercises
independent judgment as appropriate.
4. Verifies all specimen identification and related orders when
dealing with specimens drawn or received. Maintains proper specimen
identification throughout all laboratory processes.
5. Utilizes the computer and various functions appropriately and
6. Performs, analyzes, and documents quality control data, makes
judgments concerning results and takes appropriate action to
maintain accuracy and precision.
7. Performs and documents maintenance checks and adjustments on all
appropriate instruments and equipment.
8. If applicable, performs accurate patient registration /
including knowledge of insurance codes and billing procedures.
9. If applicable, performs order entry / transcription of orders,
routing of orders and cancellations per established procedures.
10. Recognizes equipment malfunction and performs troubleshooting
and documents corrective actions taken. Contacts technical service
and the Lab Manager regarding potential repairs.
11. Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test
specificity and sensitivity and specific factors that might
influence test results in a competent manner.
12. Participates/assists in the evaluation of new techniques and
procedures in the laboratory in terms of personnel, equipment,
space, method comparison, cost analysis and establishment of
reference intervals, writes and revises technical procedures and
any other areas that might assist the departmental manager.
13. Incorporates educational techniques in the instruction of new
employees or students in the laboratory's instructional
14. Recognizes abnormal and critical results and communicates and
documents them following good patient care, regulatory and
15. Provides direction and guidance to medical laboratory
technicians and other support personnel.
16. Properly organizes, prioritizes, distributes, and acts on
17. Documents unusual situations and/or required nonconformities
and reports or refers to appropriate person or manager.
18.Maintains an adequate supply of materials and either orders or
makes recommendations to the Lab Manager. This includes assistance
in re-supply and organization of supplies.
19. Maintains a clean, neat work area during and at the end of
scheduled work period. Communicates appropriate information
regarding the section and testing status to incoming shift.
20. Remains knowledgeable and maintains compliance with all
departmental, organization and regulatory agencies rules,
regulations, and procedures.
21. Collects data, prepares charts, runs tests, and makes
recommendations on new or different test procedures to the Lab
22. Observes proper safety practices in performance of job
23. Maintains a professional, mature, positive attitude while
24. May be required to collect blood/other samples from
25. May be required to work holidays, weekends, evenings, or night
shift depending on job assignment.
26. All acts and actions are as a laboratory professional.
27. Attends in-service classes or workshops relevant to the job and
maintains required CEU's.
28. Performs other duties as assigned, to include but not limited
to typing, filing, answering telephones, and other duties as
1. Demonstrates age specific competencies as per department
2. Demonstrates clinical and technical competencies as per
Joining the Guthrie team allows you to become a part of a tradition
of excellence in health care. In all areas and at all levels of
Guthrie, you'll find staff members who have committed themselves to
serving the community.
The Guthrie Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes
and encourages diversity in the workplace.
The Guthrie Clinic is a non-profit, integrated, practicing
physician-led organization in the Twin Tiers of New York and
Pennsylvania. Our multi-specialty group practice of more than 500
physicians and 302 advanced practice providers offers 47
specialties through a regional office network providing primary and
specialty care in 22 communities. Guthrie Medical Education
Programs include General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Emergency
Medicine, Family Medicine, Anesthesiology and Orthopedic Surgery
Residency, as well as Cardiovascular, Gastroenterology and
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship programs. Guthrie is also a
clinical campus for the Geisinger Commonwealth School of
Keywords: The Guthrie Clinic, Scranton , PD Medical Technologist - Chemistry - Per Diem, Healthcare , Sayre, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!