System Medical Director, Infection Prevention and Hospital Epidemiology (Physician )
Company: Guthrie Medical Group
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Infectious Disease opening in Sayre, Pennsylvania. General
Summary: This position reports to the System Chief Quality Officer
of The Guthrie Clinic for Infection Control duties and to the Chief
of Infectious Diseases for clinical Infectious Disease duties.
The Medical Director for Infection Prevention and Control is
responsible for the oversight and implementation of the Infection
Prevention Plan in conjunction with the System Infection
Preventionist/ Operational director.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities: The role will be 0.5 FTE
Medical Director of Infection Prevention and Control, and 0.5
Clinical Infectious Diseases.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to providing subject
matter expertise in infection prevention and healthcare
epidemiology; reviewing health-care associated infections with
subsequent implementation of infection control and process
improvement efforts to reduce hospital-acquired infections (HAIs);
development and implementation of infection control principles and
policies in general and as they relate to reduction of multi-drug
resistant organisms (MDROs), outbreak response and special
pathogens; interpretation of epidemiologic data, and improvement of
data infrastructures and data reporting in compliance with NHSN,
CMS and other internal metrics.
The Medical Director s goals include:
- Develop along with the System Infection Preventionist the
annual goals and plan for implementation of the Infection Control
Program for review and approval.
- Maintenance of infection specific rates at or below national
- Maintenance of regulatory requirements, including review of
relevant clinical areas to ensure adherence to environment of care
standards including disinfection, sterilization and
- Leading system efforts to achieve hand hygiene goals
- Lead the development, implementation, and supervision of a
health systemwide program for the prevention and control of
- Leading system infectious outbreak investigations and ensuring
- Design and participate in quality improvement initiatives to
ensure a reduction in harm
- Implementation of infection control policies designed to reduce
or eliminate outbreaks in the health system, develop and implement
facility-wide infection prevention and control measures to protect
patients, staff and visitors.
- Monitoring patient care for compliance with established
standards and investigate known or suspected sources of infections
in order to determine the source and ensure control.
- Oversee preparation of Risk Assessment and Infection Control
(IC) Surveillance data presented to the IC Committee. Conduct
epidemiologic investigations of these findings.
- Develop and provide related education to staff in partnership
with operational leaders.
- Participate in direction, supervision and support functions of
the infection control staff.
- Monitor detection and reporting of nosocomial infections on a
systematic and current basis using National Healthcare Safety
- Help to develop and then perform reviews of epidemiological
reports to detect clustering of pathogenic organisms or increases
in rates of infection in patient population.
- Assist in the monitoring and proper implementation of isolation
practices and Standard Precautions on nursing units and in hospital
- Inform hospital leadership, Quality Office and Risk Management
of acute issues and assist in the management and follow-up of
Infection Control-related events.
- Supervise identification of reports and information on specific
communicable diseases to the local Health Department and other
official bodies as required by law.
- Review relevant department, nursing, and outpatient clinics
Infection Control Guidelines with appropriate leaders.
- Chair, attend and participate in the Infection Control
Committee meetings, and policy and procedure meetings.
- Participate in Quality and Patient Safety committees
- The Medical Director will coordinate epidemiologic activities
across the health system including:
- Maintain a system for surveillance and reporting of infections
among patients and personnel. Provide oversight and quality
assurance for the Department s surveillance activities. Recommend
and implement changes in the system when indicated. Maintain a
formal internal and external system of communication to inform and
direct personnel concerning potential and existing problems.
- Lead investigations of known or suspected occurrences of
infection among patients, personnel or visitors to the
- Participate in product recalls associated with potential or
identified healthcare associated infections.
- Serve as a liaison to the City and County and State Health,
Departments, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention as
needed to fulfill the hospital s mandatory reporting requirements
for infections and in the conduct of outbreak investigations as
- Assure that the hospital infection control program is in
compliance with relevant requirements promulgated by city, state,
and federal government agencies as well as those published by
accreditation and payor agencies. Education/Experience Required
- Must have an M.D. degree, or equivalent, from an approved
medical school, and have satisfactorily completed an Internal
Medicine residency program, and an Infectious Diseases fellowship
program, from an ACGME accredited program.
- Minimum of 10 years in direct patient care experience
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory and/or leadership experience
in a healthcare setting.
- Minimum of 2 years experience leading Infection Prevention &
Control with strong/expert working knowledge of infectious
diseases, data collection, and/or basis statistics
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to advance and
develop a superior infection prevention program.
- Able to function effectively and drive the creation and
management of projects and programs to successful outcomes in a
highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and presentation
skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences, in-group
settings or one-on-one.
- Expertise in establishing physician relationships combined with
the ability to manage an interdisciplinary team while appreciating
and fostering collegial and peer participation from all
- Effective supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and
coaching expertise. Certifications/Licensures Required
- Must be eligible for PA and NY medical licensure
- Must be board-certified in Internal Medicine and Infectious
- MPH or similar advanced degree is preferred. Work Life Balance
- Generous Paid Time Off annually, in addition to holidays and
sick time Comprehensive C ompensation and B enefits
- Competitive RVU model with strong, internal referral
- Full benefits including medical, dental and disability
- Malpractice insurance
- Guthrie Retirement Savings Plan (403B) with employer match and
- Allowance for licensure fees, Drug Enforcement Administration
(DEA) certificate, and renewals
- $10,000 referral bonus if you refer a physician that we hire on
a full-time basis Supportive Transition
- Relocation expenses paid
- Trailing spouse placement assistance available
- Physician professional and social special interest groups
- Dedicated Onboarding Specialist and Provider Services team to
ensure a successful start at Guthrie About Us The Guthrie Clinic is
a non-profit, integrated, practicing physician-led organization in
the Twin Tiers of New York and Pennsylvania . Our multi-specialty
group practice of more than 366 physicians and 302 advanced
practice providers offers 47 specialties through a regional office
network providing primary and specialty care in 22 communities.
Guthrie Medical Education Programs include General Surgery,
Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine,
Anesthesiology and Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, as well as
Cardiovascular, Gastroenterology and Pulmonary Critical Care
Fellowship programs. Guthrie is also a clinical campus for the
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine.
Guthrie Physicians and Advanced Practitioners provide more than 1
million patient visits per year to enhance the health and
well-being of those we serve within an environment of compassion,
learning, and discovery.
About the Area This region offers breathtaking natural beauty and
provides a quiet, safe environment for families with beautiful
homes and neighborhoods. With plenty of cultural and sports
activities of its own, Guthrie s central location affords the
benefits of dining, shopping, culture and recreation in small
cities and communities, with easy access to big cities like New
York and Philadelphia.
About the Hospital A 254-bed tertiary care referral center, Guthrie
Robert Packer Hospital, Sayre, Pa., is the recipient of numerous
national awards for the high-quality care it provides to patients.
The hospital is a Regional Level II Trauma Center, accredited by
the Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation, and is served by
Guthrie Air, a regional aeromedical helicopter program. Guthrie
Robert Packer Hospital offers a full range of diagnostic . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: Guthrie Medical Group, Scranton , System Medical Director, Infection Prevention and Hospital Epidemiology (Physician ), Healthcare , Sayre, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...