Patient Access Medical Assistant - Pediatric Urgent Care
Posted on: September 20, 2023
Job Title: Patient Access Medical Assistant - Pediatric Urgent
Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Job Category: Patient Support, Nursing and Nursing Support
Work Type: Full time
Department: GSWB Pediatrics Clinic Team
Date Posted: 09/11/2023
Job ID: R-49023
Job SummaryResponsible and accountable for performing front line
support to the clinic and direct patient care activities, depending
on the needs of the clinic. Coordinates and performs front line
office activities in an effective and efficient manner for the
department. Greets and registers incoming patients, supports the
patient check out process and schedules future appointments as
- Provides patient care as directed by the licensed nurse, within
the medica assistant scope of practice, in meeting the
multidisciplinary care plan established for each patient
- Assists provider in setting up for minor procedures, gathering
supplies and equipment, applying aseptic dressings, opening
- Obtains and accurately documents patient information using the
rooming tool within the electronic medical record.
- Reinforces patient instructions to enhance patient
understanding and adherence to treatment, and plan of care.
- Collects and prepares lab specimens, and completes associated
paperwork, forms, and documentation to expedite laboratory studies
with accuracy and efficiency.
- Reports patient concerns and questions to appropriate care team
member and follows through as directed.
- Reports all patient safety incidents or issues, patient and
family complaints, serious events, environmental hazards
immediately to supervisor.
- May have access to non-controlled medication storage and supply
areas and can transport non-controlled medications as necessary to
meet the needs of the clinic and unit.
- Inventories and orders supplies based on appropriate or
established inventory levels. Checks for expired items and removes
expired supplies from inventory. Assures adequate stock of supplies
and equipment in rooms.
- Cleans equipment and routinely inspects condition and operation
of equipment as appropriate to scope of role. Cleans and prepares
exam rooms between patients.
- Performs high level disinfection or sterilization per policy
- Performs duties of Patient Access Representative including
responsible for checking patients in for appointments and
accurately verifying demographics.
- Assures all check-in procedures are competed and monitors
patient wait times, communicating changes to the patient as
necessary. Assists with referrals and pre-certifications, at the
time of encounter.
- Reads and interprets insurance responses. Understands general
guidelines and insurance rank requirement to properly assign
primary, secondary, and tertiary insurance per encounter.
- Ensures patient receives necessary disclosure and privacy
information, obtains necessary legal and financial signatures..
Notifies patient or guarantor of anticipated financial
responsibility including copays, deductibles, or coinsurances and
- Completes patient's visit by scheduling any necessary follow up
appointments to include any specialty or ancillary services as
- Processes multi-channel messages related to patient and/or
physician requests regarding: appointments, referrals,
prescriptions, and complaints.Work is typically performed in a
clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific
obligations and complying with all organization policies and
procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not
intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements
considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional
competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific
orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the
job related to that position.
Position DetailsWork Hours:
- -It is a mix of 8 and 12 hours - 8:30a-5p and 8:30a-9p
- No On-call Weekends: - Every otherTravel: NoneIt is a mix of 8
and 12 hour shifts.Every other weekend.No on callWe're proud to
offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package
- Medical, prescription drug, vision and dental coverage
- Family Support (Fertility and Adoption Support)
- Employer contribution to your retirement plan
- Tuition assistance (part time and full time roles only)
- Generous paid time off packages that allows you to take the
time you need to travel, rest, and care for and reconnect with
friends and family.
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated and
experienced nursing leaders
- Paid Military Leave
- Community Involvement through our Employee Resources Groups
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
Our Purpose & ValuesOUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about
caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger
family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone
as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure
colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our
knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the
caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and
better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community,
and the nation. SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our
patients and members and the Geisinger family We offer healthcare
benefits for full time and part time positions from day one,
including vision, dental and domestic partners. Perhaps just as
important, from senior management on down, we encourage an
atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. We know
that a diverse workforce with unique experiences and backgrounds
makes our team stronger. Our patients, members and community come
from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it takes a diverse
workforce to make better health easier for all. We are proud to be
an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Keywords: Geisinger, Scranton , Patient Access Medical Assistant - Pediatric Urgent Care, Healthcare , Lopez, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!