Posted on: April 8, 2021
Our MissionWe believe that nobody should struggle financially to
receive healthcare. Every year, 500,000 families in the United
States declare bankruptcy due to large medical bills. People should
not have their lives destroyed because they can't afford something
they require to survive. At Walnut, we're on a mission to change
this number from 500,000 bankruptcies per year to 0.
What we doWalnut is a fintech company that expands financial access
to healthcare. We're building a point-of-sale embedded lending
platform that makes healthcare more affordable for patients by
breaking up large medical bills into small, monthly payments. This
helps patients actually afford healthcare and helps healthcare
providers capture more revenue and increase collections. We're
backed by prominent investors including Gradient Ventures (Google's
AI-focused venture fund), Plaid, Afore Capital, 2048 Ventures,
Newark Venture Partners, Supernode Ventures, and others.
------ About the Role
OverviewAs our first Software Engineer, you will be an integral
member of a small, fast-paced engineering team building our core
product and scaling it as the company grows. As our first hire,
this is a tremendous opportunity to influence the growth of a new
team and build a novel and impactful technology that improves the
financial well-being of patients.
What You'll Do
- As an early member of our engineering team, you will work
directly with the CTO and Head of Product to spec, design, and
build the core product functionality
- Specifically, you'll work on expanding the functionality of our
live MVP to optimize the user onboarding flow, enhance
authentication, integrate with 3rd-party data providers we use for
underwriting decisioning, build out the decision engine itself, and
- Be part of our weekly product development cycle where you'll
convert product requirements into functionality.
- Develop product intuition by spending time with our users and
increasingly take ownership of coming up with product
- Solve problems you don't know how to solve: You'll encounter
challenges we haven't yet come across yet. And when the time comes,
you'll think through problems, evaluate approaches and teach
yourself whatever is needed.
- Lay a solid foundation for the product to scale, keep our
technical debt in check and help us hire a team of incredible
- Have something you want to learn or accomplish in this role?
Tell us about it! We want to give you the best career opportunity
you've ever had.
What We're Looking For
- 0-3 years of experience as a software engineer
- Hustle & Grit. Willingness and desire to take on personal
responsibility for the business as a whole and "figure it out",
whether it's in your exact functional lane or not.
- Excitement and passion for expanding financial access to
- Experience with Java, a relational database, React (or a
comparable front-end framework) and building full-stack web
- A great understanding of how Restful services and Gradle
- Our full tech stack includes: Docker, Spring, Gradle,
Hibernate, ExpressJS, NextJS, Amazon Web Services, Java, N8N,
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation and equity - we will pay you for your
level of experience
- Competitive health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Unlimited vacation with a minimum of 10 days off per year
- New equipment for you to do your best work
- Opportunity to make a significant contribution to a product
that's already transforming how people pay for healthcare
- An organization that supports learning and development. We will
find mentors to help you level up, provide you the stretch
opportunities and make resources available to help you grow
Interested in applying? Get in touch:
Keywords: Walnut, Scranton , Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Walton, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!