Serverless Product Engineer
Company: American Express
Posted on: May 3, 2021
You Lead the Way. Weve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people
and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways.
Whether were supporting our customers financial confidence to move
ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to
explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining whats
possible - and were proud to back each other every step of the way.
When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of
over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an
exceptional customer experience every day.
One Amex is a suite of products that started the trend towards Amex
in a box. One Data is a functions as a service platform for our
internal cloud platform within One Amex. We are seeking to onboard
a Senior Engineer the One Data platform.
With One Data, youll have the ability to build technology products
that shape the way that developers across American Express build
micro services. We had an immense growth in terms of the number of
onboarded functions in 2020 and except that growth to
We build and provide developer support for the product. We follow
an everyone on support model
customers are developers, SREs. We do have a production support SRE
team but its all hands on deck to support American Express Card
Members when the SRE team needs support.
We are a distributed team with team mates in almost every US time
zone and in the UK. We expect to overlap at least one of these time
zones. We are at the fore front of driving change in terms of
technology and culture across American Express.
Who You Are
- Are excited about technology, stays up to date with and brings
in new technology understands/participates in CNCF workgroups,
developer mailing lists. In short, Be curious
- Love dealing with fast pace, changing needs, & limited
resources. Action bias.
- Can take responsibility, follow up where requirements/desing is
not clear. Raise flags if you think they are suboptimal.
- Have an Open source first model for building. Contribute, give
back. Strive for excellence.
- Understand and are excited 20% projects. You aim for moonshots
but can get ground to deliver projects.
- You improve the team. You participate in American Express
Technology Guilds to network with other developers.
- Are maniacal about Developer Experience.
- Disagree respectfully but commit. Bring people along.
Articulate and drive change (6 pagers)
- You are a manager of one -
How Will The Interviews Happen
- JDK 11+, Java/Kotlin (Kotlin Preferred), Concurrency, Vert.X,
TDD, Gradle plugin development, on CPU and heapdump analysis
experience. You are as excited about project loom, Shenandoah, JFR
(Java Flight Recorder) as we are
- System design and scaling (CAP, Distributed Caches, Read/Write
Replicas, Consistent Hashing, CQRS, CRDTs). Ability to break down
complex/high level ideas into concrete design and provide proofs of
- Coud Native tools like Kubernetes, Envoy, Etcd, PromQL, Alert
Manager, jsonnet, SMI and how to use them. More importantly, when
to not use them.
- Jenkins pipeline, job DSL or equivalent continuous
- Different Git workflows, Semantic versioning & conventional
commits and why they are important for team collaboration.
- Observability, micro-services architectural patterns like Saga,
Database per service pattern, Circuit breaker.
- Binutils, grep, sed, awk, perf, Linux fundamentals.
There will be three interviews
- Coding interview where you will
- fork a repository we have built, modify it to make a rest
service call and return a json response
- remote connect to it via your favorite IDE (VS Code has attach
capability) and debug a problem
- write unit tests
- Take a heapdump and analyze it in Visual VM
- Commit, push and issue pull request for the code
- System Design interview go through the
(https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer) as a
- Culture fit interview
- A github/bitcket project demonstrated open source contributions
or your personal pet projects in a JVM language or golang
- A 4 year Computer Science Degree
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is
required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes
employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status
protected by law.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 23, 2021, 10:01:49 AM
Keywords: American Express, Scranton , Serverless Product Engineer, Other , walton, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!