Company: BAE Systems
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Job Description As a member of the Electronic Systems legal
department, the selected individual will be required to display
responsive, superb-quality legal knowledge, as well as utilize
his/her business judgment to effectuate meaningful support as the
business works to achieve their goals, and support the Electronic
Systems mission. We are looking for the right candidate to join a
dynamic team in a fast-paced environment supporting a global
aerospace, defense and technology company.
This role provides the opportunity to serve as Senior Counsel to
one of BAE Systems' largest and most prestigious business sectors.
Senior Counsel will be required to utilize his/her business
insight, as much as their legal knowledge. Senior Counsel will also
be responsible for handling legal work relating to all aspects of
both commercial transactions (including international
opportunities) and U.S. Government contracts, as well as have their
portfolio focus on supply chain organization support.
As a key member of the the legal team, the Senior Counsel will
provide general support and report directly to the Deputy Chief
Counsel, as well as assist the Vice President, Chief Counsel in
providing legal advice and representation involving all matters
where Electronic Systems is a party. Specifically, Senior Counsel
will support the Controls & Avionics Systems (CAS) and Power &
Propulsion Systems (PPS) business areas, both with headquarters in
Endicott, NY. This position requires regular interfacing with our
business colleagues. The right candidate will thrive in an
atmosphere, which requires daily interaction with business,
program, functional and legal employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under general direction and in support of the Deputy Chief
Counsel, this position will function in a generalist role, with
primary focus on commercial transactions (including international
opportunities), U.S. Government contracts (including procurement,
suspension and debarment issues, subcontracts in support of U.S.
Government prime contracts, associated offset agreements, and other
issues), and supply chain management issues.
- Provide sound, pragmatic legal advice and innovative/creative
solutions on a wide range of business and supply chain matters that
facilitates the achievement of business objectives.
- Provide ongoing counseling and support to the CAS and PPS
business areas, as well as the ES supply chain organization
(subcontracts and procurement).
- Conduct legal research and prepare written opinions based on
- Proactively research and report on changes in relevant laws,
regulations and industry standards, as well as track emerging
- Guide successful resolution of legal problems, examine various
documents and data and proves counsel to the business on the best
course of action.
- Assist contracts department with negotiation and preparation of
contractual documents including, but not limited to, licenses,
contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and teaming agreements and
support the contracts team with technical interpretations of
governing law and regulations.
- Act in a lead role for the company regarding risk management
with the Electronic Systems supply chain. This includes advising
the supply chain organization during negotiations with
subcontractors and suppliers, as well as oversee various legal
compliance responsibilities. These responsibilities include, but
are not limited to, flowing down ethics into the supply chain,
counterfeit parts prevention, cybersecurity, country-of-origin
compliance, export control, FCPA, and trafficking in human
- Participate in reviewing, interpreting, and drafting various
company policies and procedures, including responsibility for
developing new or enhancing existing contract templates,
guidelines, policies, and training materials in support of the
legal department's efforts to empower other functions to better
assist the business areas they support.
- Analyze, prepare, and review various matters to ensure
protection of the interests of Electronic Systems. Senior Counsel
may consult with or refer matters to outside counsel, as required,
and with a recommendation from the Deputy Chief Counsel.
- Assist with analysis and advice regarding litigation and
- In collaboration with the Deputy Chief Counsel and the
Electronic Systems Intellectual Property Counsel, review and advise
on intellectual property rights, software license rights, and other
intellectual property matters affecting product development,
contract negotiation, and other business issues.
- When directed, the Senior Counsel, will conduct internal
investigations under the supervision of the Deputy Chief
- Assist in the preparation of various legal training
- Contribute to an environment in which all team members are
respected regardless of their individual differences, and are
motivated to improve both their individual and team contributions
to achieve business results.
- Accept other tasks as assigned by the Vice President, Chief
Counsel or the Deputy Chief Counsel.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this
specific position requires US citizenship status.Required
Education, Experience, & Skills Education
- Possess a Juris Doctorate Degree, along with strong
undergraduate school credentials.
- Must hold a license to practice law in at least one United
States jurisdiction, preferably NY, NH, VA, or MA.
- 8-plus years of legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or
government setting. Preference for experience at a technology
company or government contractor.
- In depth knowledge of the FAR, DFARS, TINA, CMMC, and
- Experience with managing risk within a company's supply chain
- Experience with intellectual property issues, including
questions regarding trademarks, patents and patent licensing.
- Experience with commercial and open source software licensing,
and the ability to provide advice on the risk associated with third
party software use.
- Current active Secret clearance or the ability to obtain such a
- Dedication to the Electronic Systems mission of serving the
U.S. military and its allies.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, along with the ability to
deal with executives and employees at all levels.
- Must be a self-starter, and able to manage and prioritize a
multitude of complex and challenging situations with little
- Willingness to improve, enhance, and grow your technical
proficiencies, as well as continue developing professionally.
- High moral compass with unquestioned integrity and ethics.
- Demonstrated record of leadership and team skills.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the
U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense,
aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of
products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as
advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions
and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting
lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems.
Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts
- defending national security with breakthrough technology,
superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the
latest technology and defend national security, you will
continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a
global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that
truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global
innovator behind BAE Systems' game-changing defense and commercial
electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what
is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees
opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities
can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far
reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented
Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the
industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities
we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills,
experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For
us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on
high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an
inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive.
Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy
work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with
Keywords: BAE Systems, Scranton , Senior Counsel, Other , Endicott, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!